The Short Story
Jennifer is an award-winning illustrator and children’s book author. She has illustrated picture books, children’s magazines, greeting cards, party ware and educational materials. She is the author and illustrator of numerous picture books, including the Maud the Koala series and the Flubby the Cat series published by Penguin Workshop. Her best-selling book, "May I Please Have a Cookie?" has sold over one million copies.
The Longer Story
Like most illustrators, Jennifer has been drawing incessantly most of her life. Her first masterpieces, “Red Crayon on White Ottoman” and “Permanent Marker on Hard Wood Floor” met with decidedly harsh criticism. But by the time she was ten years old, she had a budding career as a commercial artist. She had a small but lucrative side business selling drawings to classmates for 25 cents each.
Jennifer is a creative individual who also has in-depth knowledge of technology. She has a BS in Computer Science from the University of Pittsburgh with minors in studio art and mathematics. She also holds a Masters of Computer Science from Stevens Institute of Technology. She volunteers with FIRST Lego League and robotics competition for elementary and middle grade students.
Clients include Amscan, Highlights, Cricket Magazine Group, Scholastic, Great Arrow Graphics, Penguin Random House, Amazon Two Lions Publishing, Sleeping Bear Press, Heinemann, Lifeway and Tilbury House Publishers.
- Theodore Seuss Geisel Honor 2019 (Flubby is Not a Good Pet!)
- Cybil Finalist for Best Easy Reader (Fish Are Not Afraid of Doctors)
- The Moonbeam Award for Peacemaking (Most People)
- Maine Literary Award Best Children's Book (The Lemonade Hurricane)
- Notable Social Studies Trade Book For Young People 2016 CBC and NCSS (The Lemonade Hurricane)
- Gelett Burgess Honor Book (The Lemonade Hurricane)
- 2015 3x3 International Illustration Awards Certificate of Merit
- Cybil Finalist for Best Easy Reader (Steve and Wessley in The Ice Cream Shop)
- Gluten-Free Awards Best Gluten-Free Children's Book 2015 (A Gluten-Free Birthday for Me!)
- 2007 SCBWI Don Freeman Memorial Grant
- Maryland Blue Crab Young Reader Awards Honor Book (May I Please Have a Cookie?)
- Louie Award for Best Mother's Day Card
- Louie Award for Best St. Patrick's Day Card